Dolores Park Church is an intergenerational, multi-ethnic faith community in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission District originally having its beginning just before 1877 as an unofficial ministry that met on Swedes Hill in Golden Gate Park. Later in 1877 it had its official beginning. It was known then as the Swedish Evangelical Mission Church and met at the YMCA and was the first Covenant church to be established on the West Coast. After the 1906 earthquake destroyed their building on Jesse Street, they purchased the lot at Dorland and Dolores and built the current structure which was dedicated debt-free on August 25, 1907.
Since those early beginnings, Dolores Park Church has been a light in the Mission District of San Francisco and a bridge for God’s love to our city and to the world.
Known for their hospitality, Biblical integrity, and intergenerational congregation the people of Dolores Park Church have extended the love of Jesus Christ to the generations that have come and gone or who still are in our city: Swedish seamen, hippies of the 60’s, the military of the Presidio, those suffering from AIDS and HIV, the Mission District’s Hispanic community, students and families in our immediate neighborhood, and our many friends and family members.
If you are interested in more info about the long history of DPC, feel free to check out the history room off of the balcony in the sanctuary at 455 Dolores St.
Dolores Park Church is affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church of America.